Knitting materials and knitting tools:
- Double-pointed knitting needles 9 (US 13/UK 00). If you knit too tight use bigger needles’ size for the body part only (10 mm).
- Lion Brand Wool, Ease Thick & Quick – 20% wool, 80% acrylic. Color of your choice.
- Weight Category – 6. Quantity – less than1 ball. If you have difficulty to find aforementioned brand of yarn, use something else that will have about 60 m (65 yards) per 100 grams skein.
- Pom pom – black/white/natural color. Material – natural fur / faux fur / yarn pom pom. Size – from 10 to 17 cm.
Knit hat size:
- Head circumference: Toddler 48-50 cm (18.7-19.5”). Check paid pattern for other sizes.
- Gauge: 9 stitches = 4 inches in stockinette
Common abbreviations of knitting stitches:
K – knit
P – purl
P2tog – purl two together
K2tog – knit two together
Body of the bumpy roads knit hat:
Number of stitches: 36
Number of ribbing rounds: 6
Hat’s length: 17-18 cm
Cast on [ 36 ] stitches or any other number that is divisible by 4. Place marker. Join to knit in the round.
Rib (k1, p1) or (k2, p2) for [ 6 ] rounds.
Round 1: purl all stitches around
Round 2: [k2, p2] – till the end of round
Round 3: [k2, p2] – till the end of round
For the Toddler hat repeat Rounds 1-3 five more times.
Shaping crown of the bumpy roads hat:
Round 1: [p2tog, p2] – around
Round 2: [k1, p2] – around
Round 3: [k1, p2tog] – around
Round 4: [p2tog] – around
Cut yarn leaving 10-15 cm tail. Use hook or tapestry needle to pull yarn tail through the last remaining stitches. Pull tight to close the hole. Hide the tail inside of the hat and weave it in into the back side of our stitches.
Coming to the final part of this pattern you have at least a couple of options to decorate your hat with a pom. The first one is to make a handmade pom from threads. The second one is to tie a real/faux fur pom pom.